Probama Rally

10.11.2008
I'm fresh from the trenches, as it might be, on Broad Street today. Hundreds of Senator Obama's supporters turned out today to rally against Sara Palin, who was staying at the Bellvue Hotel in Center City. Despite the fact that she was not seen by or heard from, the crowd kept a high level of energy all afternoon, chanting slogans and encouraging passing motorists to honk. In attendance was a 82-year-old woman giving the "peace" sign, a couple in shirts that read "Sara Palin is a Cunt," (get yours here), the Veterans Against McCain, who waved an American Flag with the three-pronged symbol for "peace" on the field, and a pair of teenagers who held hockey sticks reading, together, "Fuck Palin." Although at first I just thought they said "Fuck." Which was amusing and confusing.

It dawned on me, as I stood in the massive crowd on the Broad Street median, that this could be one of the more signifigantly historical moments of my life. Will I tell my brother's children about this election? Will I show off my aged Obama button, or my tattered Palin is a Cunt shirt? I would hope so. Out there on the median, it felt significant, meaningful, like we were all part of something bigger than ourselves. And while I'm less prObama and more NoCain, I still couldn't resist yelling along with the crowd. It's hard not to protest Palin's idiocy.

Here's hoping that we won't have four more years of the same, though I wish I could do more than hope. With a government in power that's this corrupt, it's hard to tell if voting will matter at all.

(No fly list?)

0 comments: